Thursday, October 4, 2012

What was it like to have a baby in Africa? Part Two

July, 2007. Five months pregnant. Getting on the plane to the tiny country of Togo, West Africa--not for a visit, but to spend years, perhaps a lifetime, building a life there. I was excited, nervous, afraid; not sure what to expect. I felt like I was jumping off a high dive (not something I normally like to do.) I had an idea of what difficult struggles I would face when I got to Africa: things like dangerous snakes and spiders, demonic activity, angry thieves with machetes, etc. I was wrong.
The struggles I faced were nothing like I had imagined. I never saw a live snake during my time in Africa, except for the pythons in the snake temple (which are not as scary as things like vipers and cobras.) The spiders I saw were pretty harmless. Although demonic activity is very real there, and I saw people practicing certain rituals, I never had a close enough encounter with it to experience real fear (like a demon-possessed person coming to attack me--never happened.) We took precautions against thieves, who can be a real threat, and we met missionaries who had been attacked in their home. However, it didn't happen to me.

We faced many different kinds of struggles, which at times left us feeling very discouraged, depressed, and physically and emotionally worn out. I won't talk about a lot of them here, but I will say this: when moving to a third world country, be prepared to be ripped away from everything that is comfortable to you. Getting adjusted to a new culture is very difficult. It means questioning everything about your identity, and trying to figure out which parts of your old life to keep and which new things you need to adapt. You can't just go and live exactly like the people you are ministering to; they don't expect or want you to. They want you to show them some new things. (Like pancakes. Whenever I made pancakes, they were such a hit that I imagine someone could start a very successful business in West Africa opening an IHOP.) Besides, everyone in that culture lives differently, depending on their status, wealth, and life choices. Sometimes you want to copy what someone else is doing, and they say, "No, don't do it this way." Then you have to figure out why they are telling you that. Do they have a good reason, or are they just assuming that white people don't act that way (even though it is a good thing to do)? The West Africans sometimes assume things about white people based on their experiences with white people, most of whom have been business men, tourists, or government officials. (Not always the nicest people.)Other times an African gave advice like, "Don't eat that," and he was right--it was something he didn't even touch himself. (I am thinking of a certain rodent that is cooked in Benin, which we wanted  to try. Our friend told us not to, because this type of animal retains worms in his body even after being cooked. We listened to him, and that's one food we never ate.)

One difficulty I faced during the time I was pregnant in Africa was nausea. I was 5 months along when we left for the field, but I still faced nausea. This was probably increased by the nervousness I felt, and by trying to adjust to new eating habits. For the first month, we lived with an African pastor's family, and they fed us very well. Some of the food was very good; I wish I had learned a few more recipes! But other times, my stomach just wasn't in the mood for huge plops of cooked cornmeal and fish. A goat was killed in our honor, which Bill and I found that we don't like the taste of. It has a weird aftertaste, and was kind of greasy and gristly. We tried to eat well, so that we wouldn't offend our hosts, but that wasn't easy to do on a nauseous stomach. One breakfast food that was served to us was a stew of hot dogs, canned peas, and spicy tomato sauce. It was pretty good for dinner, but a little strange to us for breakfast. But we also had plenty of good foods to eat, so that month in our host family's home wasn't too bad. One thing that concerned us was the fact that our room had big cracks at the door that opened to the outside, and no mosquito net on the bed. I was getting tons of mosquito bites, and malaria is a serious threat for anyone, but especially pregnant women. As soon as we could, we began renting a house of our own, and Bill made sure that every seal was tight and no mosquitoes could get in. I could say a lot about our difficulties with that house and our situation there, but I'll stay on the topic of dealing with pregnancy. One of our first difficulties was what to eat! Our host family had fed us well. Now we had a house, but had to figure out how to get to the grocery store, and when there, what to buy. There was no Walmart or Giant, and our African friends weren't the biggest help in getting us to the best stores. First we stopped at a little shack of a store in our neighborhood, where we could buy tuna fish, tomato paste, and spaghetti. Bill soon went to a larger store, but it still took a while to figure out what can be bought and prepared in this new country. And what could be afforded. Milk cost about $8-9 a gallon (sold in liters that could stay on a shelf until opened.) Expensive, but I was pregnant so we bought a lot anyway. Generic Cheerios (Toastie-Oaties or something) could cost around $5 for a small box. Some things were a little cheaper in Africa, but most groceries are a lot more expensive than in America. This is because almost everything has to be imported. It's hard to learn the African way of cooking right away, especially when you are dealing with other adjustments to the country, in addition to being pregnant. So we did buy quite a bit of American-type items so we could prepare food that we recognized. We also ate a lot of bread, which was cheap, and fruit. Lots of bananas. But I did worry about not eating very well during my pregnancy, since I still faced nausea and had trouble figuring out what to prepare for dinner. I also had to figure out what to eat when I got 3:00 am hunger pains. I usually ate a bowl of cereal, peanut butter on crackers, or cookies. Until I found out one morning that I had sleepily eaten two cookies that were crawling with maggots (weevil larvae.) It had taken me a while to realize that those "whole grains" were moving. It was a long time before I ate that type of cookie again (Petit Dejeuners), but I did eventually get over my fear of them, since Petit Dejeuners are delicious.

"What To Expect When You're Expecting" was like my Bible during those months. (Yes, I used my real Bible too, but it just doesn't address some of the same specific questions.) I read it, reread it, and double-checked things constantly. The truth is, I didn't know what to expect. I didn't have ladies my age, of my culture, to talk to about what pregnancy and labor are like. My mom was a big help, too, but I just like finding answers in books rather than calling people all the time. And "What to Expect" dealt with new issues that were perhaps different in the 80s. (Sorry, Mom.) That book was a tremendous help to me. I felt like it pretty much told me everything I needed to know. It gave good advice. Thank you to the Genesis Pregnancy Care Center for giving me my copy, along with other much needed supplies and help!

One of the first struggles we faced during those first few months was getting to the right clinic. Bill had searched online and found a clinic in Togo that received good reviews from expatriates, and was considered one of the best hospitals in the country. We told our African contacts that we wanted to go to that hospital, but they found us another clinic. The other clinic seemed fine, to me. Everything was clean and sanitized, the midwife was friendly, and they seemed to know what they were talking about. It was a bit of a struggle that the midwife only spoke French, because although I knew the French that I needed to know in order to speak to her, I was still nervous about not being able to speak English. But we visited the clinic for a couple of the monthly visits, and asked a lot of questions, and the midwife seemed to follow the protocol of my What to Expect book. One thing that interested me was when she looked under my eyelids and determined that I needed to take an iron supplement. That didn't seem like a dangerous thing to diagnose, and I knew that my eating habits weren't great, so I took the pill. In America you have to take blood tests to be diagnosed for anything, but in Africa they just checked my eyelids, which I read somewhere is a real way to check for low iron. (It is possible that the person checking was used to black people's eyes, and my eyelids looked like they were the wrong color because my skin is lighter anyway. But I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.) I did have to take a blood test, but it only cost $10, compared to America, which I think cost $8000 (which I didn't have to pay, thanks to insurance.) America ran more tests, which I think are mostly unnecessary. I wouldn't want America's quality of healthcare to deteriorate, but it does seem like there are some ways American healthcare could cut costs and be more affordable for people.

After a few visits, we switched clinics from the one we started at to the one Bill had found on the internet. Bill had been pushing to switch from the start, but I thought the first one would be fine. The decision came when we asked in more detail about Caesarian sections. We had asked on day one if the clinic could perform them, and the answer was yes. As we got to know Togo better, we found that the answer to EVERY question is yes. The Togolese think they are being polite by telling you what you want to hear, even if it isn't the truth. This is one of the frustrations of missionary life! (Beninese people are more blunt, more likely to tell you the truth, and are considered rude by the Togolese. But we preferred the Beninese way.) We found out that if we went to the first clinic and a Caesarean was decided upon, I would need to ride in a taxi to the other side of town. Since the baby's life could be in danger, and sometimes Caesareans have to be performed within minutes, we didn't like that plan. So we finally got our African contacts to take us to the Clinique St. Joseph, which is the one recommended on the internet. We liked the doctor right away. He spoke pretty good English along with French, had studied in Germany, and had once visited Philadelphia. He was impressed that Bill is related to a former US president (William Henry Harrison; it came up in small talk) and called our baby "Mr. President." Unlike in America, where I spoke to doctors for about 3 minutes during my prenatal visits, our doctor in Togo took as long as we needed to talk through our concerns.

Togolese hospitals can't handle all of the complications that American hospitals can. If serious problems had been found, I could have had to fly to France at the last minute, and risk losing the baby. We had to trust that something like that wouldn't happen. But as I read in my pregnancy book about possible complications, many of the potential problems could be handled by the Clinique St. Joseph. They had oxygen to give to the baby and an incubator for premies, they could perform a Caesarian section if necessary, and they had the baby's heartbeat on a monitor during labor. They performed a couple of ultrasounds, and the doctor checked my pelvic bones to make sure the baby's head would be able to fit. (According to some labor stories I have heard about women laboring for 24 hours before the doctor decides her baby's head is too big, that seems like a good thing to check!) God blessed me with a normal and healthy delivery, which I will talk about in Part Three!

No comments:

Post a Comment